What we do
The University Library Digitisation Department carries out its activities both structurally and on a project-lead basis. Focus is high-end digitisation of (mostly, but not exclusively) documentary heritage.
Currently, we participate in the development of a long-term University Library digitisation program. In collaboration with all KU Leuven collection curators and all stakeholders, we set out a digitisation pathway for the next few years and beyond.
Together with the curators and our main partners UBD Metadata and LIBIS, we design, coordinate and deliver digitisation projects in order to answer certain collection needs or specific user requests with a wider relevance. We provide services to collection holders, researchers and students, and external (virtual and real-life) visitors.
External heritage institutions too contact the Imaging Lab for the digitisation of their collections. Recent projects include the digitisation of the Codex Eyckensis (the oldest manuscript Bible in the Low Countries from the 8th century; St Catherine’s Church, Maaseik), and the manuscript collection of the Mayer van den Bergh Museum (Antwerp), including the dazzling Mayer van den Bergh Breviary.
All projects generally, but not necessarily, entail the full digitisation process and a start-to-finish project management. Every step in the process is designed according to the digitisation requirements and finalities as laid out by the customer, for example the level of metadata, the type of imaging infrastructure and output, and the publishing modes.
- Corble collection (University Library, Special Collections)
- Incunabulae (University Library, Special Collections and Maurits Sabbe Library)
- Jesuit collection (Maurits Sabbe Library)
- Collectio Academica Antiqua (University Library, Special Collections)
- Magister Dixit: digitisation of college notes from the old University of Leuven in the collections of KU Leuven, UCL and Royal Library, in collaboration with Lectio
- Flandrica: digitisation of Flemish masterpieces in the University Library collections for the Flemish Heritage Library
- Book in the picture (Campus Library Arenberg)
- Sagalassos Archaeological Research Project: digitisation of archeological objects for inventory; image management
Most significant past projects
- Collegium Trilingue (University Library, Special Collections)
- EuropeanaPhotography (digitisation of +20.000 glass slides and factsheets on digitisation)
- Collection of manuscript fragments (University Library, Special Collections)
- Collection of old thesis (University Library, Special Collections)
- Digital acquisitions from various collection holders: